The chairman of All Parties Hurriyat Conference and a devout cleric, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq celebrated his 47th birthday this year.
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq Biography
A Kashmiri separatist leader and a devout Mirwaiz Umar Farooq turned 47 this year. Hailing from Islam religion, he is the son of late Mirwaiz Maulvi Farooq who was the leader of Awami Action Committee and was executed by unidentified gunslingers. He has one sister named Rabia Farooq. He was born on 23rd March 1973 in Srinagar. He completed his schooling from Burn Hall School, Srinagar and acquired Postgraduate degree in Islamic studies known as ‘Moulvi Fazil’ and a PhD on the topic ‘Politico-Islamic role of Shah-e-Hamdan’ from Kashmir University.
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq Political Career
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq is currently acting as the chairman of the Awami Action Committee, one of the two principal clans of the All Parties Hurriyat Conference.
On 21st May 1990, a massacre of 72 people took place near the Islamia College, where his father’s body was also found. The public’s emotions were stirred and lent the power of political jobs to Mirwaiz Umar Farooq. He undertook the mantle of ‘Aawami Action Committee’ in 1990 and invariably propagated the alertness of Kashmir issue among international countries. On 30th May 1990 he evolved as the 14th Mirwaiz of Kashmir. He is playing a significant role in the religious and political genres. Besides, he is acting as the spiritual head of the Muslims of Kashmir and the head priest of Jama Masjid, Srinagar.
On 9th March 1993, he consolidated 23 Kashmiri pro-freedom organisations encompassing political, social and religious sectors under one canopy titled APHC (All Parties Hurriyat Conference) and emerged as the uncontested youngest chairman Mirwaiz of the Hurriyat Conference.
Although his father’s work never fascinated him, he had to take over his legacy after his death. He was keen to be a software engineer but still doesn’t lament his decision of joining opposition governmental affairs.
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq Controversies
- In April 2009, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq became the bone of contention when his the United States born and brought up spouse was granted Jammu & Kashmir citizenship under the encompassing guidelines to be followed by everybody.
- In February 2019, a 40 feet high commercial antenna with gear for Internet-based calling and a Pakistani hotline were confiscated from his house.
- In certain events, he has been titled as a Pakistani Spy and has also been framed in a terror funding case.
- According to the sources, it is validated that he is involved in growing desolation in J&K with the funds provided by the ISI of Pakistan.
- On 9th April 2019, he appeared in front of NIA for investigation in terror funding case in which he is suspected of being the prime accused.
- On certain events, he has been placed under home detention like his dad’s demise commemoration, Afzal Guru’s hanging eve, Prime Minister’s visit to J&K or J&K ‘s October 2017 civil polls on the pretext that he may agitate the J&K people for objections that may obstruct the harmony.
- Recently in 2019, moderate Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq along with two leaders from National Conference and one each from PDP and the People’s Conference were confined in the Kashmir valley succeeding the annulment of special status given to Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370. They have signed the bonds and guaranteed not to engage in any political affiliations after they are freed. In case, anybody seen violating the provision might have to face the judicial custody again.
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq Achievements
In October 2014, the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Center, Jordan named him as one amongst ‘The 500 Most Influential Muslims’. This report is published every year in participation with Prince Al-Waleed Bin Talal Centre for Muslim-Christian Understanding at Georgetown University in the United States. Besides, he was also titled one amongst the world’s Top 10 compelling Muslim Politicians.
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq Personal Life
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq tied the knot with Indian American Sheeba Masoodi, the youngest daughter of Sibtain Masoodi who is an Indian doctor of Barzulla locality of Kashmir based in the United States. The couple is blessed with three children – two daughters and one son.
He relishes eating Gujarati and Mughlai non-vegetarian food.
Besides, he loves listening to music and watching movies in his free time. He also considers the internet as his hobby. He loves all kind of music. He prefers watching sports in his pastime.
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq Images on India Content Website
The India Content Website has a huge stock of high-quality images related to Mirwaiz Umar Farooq. The images are obtainable in three sizes – small, medium and large.You can purchase various other content images from the https://www.indiacontent.in