Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s birth anniversary is marked as Rashtriya Ekta Diwas (National Unity Day) which was introduced by the Government of India and was inaugurated by Narendra Modi in 2014 in order to honor him. Patel was the first Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister during the political integration of India. He lived between 31st October, 1875–15th December, 1950. His birthday is a regional public holiday in the Indian state of Gujarat. He was born to father Zaverbhai Patel and mother Ladbai Patel. He was married to Jhaverba and had two siblings named Maniben Patel and Dahyabhai Patel. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel hails from Nadiad, Gujarat and is the symbol of unity, integration and security. He was an eminent Indian barrister and senior Indian National Congress leader.
He was recognised as the founding father of the Republic of India and a unifier for the integration between the princely states of India. No wonders that Patel’s task was Herculean in a very short span of time. He conferred with all the princely states during the period of independence and secured every state to be a part of independent India. He aspired for free India and never let his country down. Because of the round the clock efforts of Patel, we are able to see the map of India what it is today. When the freedom was won, Sardar Patel said that this is not the time to relax or to retire as VP Menon wanted to relinquish from the government service.
Later, he was appointed as Secretary of the States Department. In the publication of VP Menon “The Story of the Integration of Indian States”, he specified that how Sardar Patel worked proactively for the interests of people and inspired his entire team to work comprehensively. While he was serving Ahmedabad municipality in 1920s, he did many commendable jobs aggressively such as focus on urban infrastructure, cleanliness of the city and functioning of the drainage systems everywhere. He was considered as the veteran administrator and Iron Man of India. This year, we will be commemorating 144th birth anniversary of Sardar Patel. While our country was battling for the freedom, his tremendous contributions to the India’s freedom struggle are commendable and notorious.
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Achievements
Sardar Patel was emerged as one of the most prominent leaders during the Indian independence movement of India. Edward Memorial High School was founded by Sardar Patel in Borsad and was the first chairman of this institution. After achieveing the degree of Barrister, Patel went to England to pursue his further studies. He finished his 36 months program in just 30 months and was ranked highest without any previous college background. In 1917, he was elected as the sanitation commissioner and in 1922, 1924 and 1927, the municipal president of Ahmedabad.
Integration of 562 princely states as well as the erstwhile British colonies of India were commendable and historic achievement of Sardar Patel under the Union of India. Sardar Patel was the strong revolutioneer due to which all the princes were drawn towards him for the consolidation. He was the social reformer of India who played an outstanding role in the freedom struggle of India. In 1991, he was bestowed with Indian civilian honour ‘Bharat Ratna’ post-obituary and is still remembered as a successful Home Minister of India. Many monuments and institutions have also be named after him to tribute this great Iron Man of India. To honor Sardar Vallbhbhai Patel on his 143rd anniversary in 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Statue of Unity – the world’s tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, in Gujarat’s Kevadiya.
The greatest achievement in Sardar Patel’s life was the unification of Hyderabad in Union of India. His major five contributions in the development of the state Gujarat are as follows:
- Unification of princely states and Junagadh in Gujarat – Junagadh’s muslim king wanted to merge with Pakistan. Sardar Patel refused his proposal and convinced him to amalgamate with Union of India. Apart from this, the princes of other princely states were also happy to merge in Gujarat.
- Remodelling of Somnath Temple – During the time of freedom struggle movement of India, Somnath temple was destroyed 17 times by intruders. He took the drive to and renovated it completely.
- Kheda and Badoli Satygraha – Kheda and Southern Gujarat were imposed 30% tariff by British government during the time of famine. At that time, he asked peasants for not paying the taxes and to fight for non-violence. As a result, the tariff were removed till next successful year.
- Milk Revolution – As suggested by Patel, the farmers called a ‘Milk Strike’ during the crisis of selling milk. After the 15 days of strike, the milk administrator, a Britisher visited the site in Anand and after the assessment he accepted the farmer’s demand. This formed a union named Kaira District Co-operative Milk Producers Union Limited (later was popularized as Amul).
- Social Reformer – He was largely against alcohol consumption, caste discrimination, untouchability and woman emancipation in Gujarat and outside.
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Jayanti Wishes
On the birth date of this great soul who fought heartily for building and uniting its nation, I would like to address each Indian who seed plants of unity to raise the Indian future. Many schools, colleges and institutions of India commemorates this day as Rashtriya Ekta Diwas and organizes many theatrical acts, competitions, debates and various other activities to forge the unity in the youth, elders and political leaders.
Sardar Patel’s Messages
Now every Indian should forget that they are jat, Punjabi, sindhi, sikh or belong to some particular community. He/she must remember only one thing that he/she is an Indian and has certain responsibilities for his/her country. Our country should be a good producer and no human being should be left hungry or should shed tears for food. Love you country, love the country’s people and stay united!
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Images on India Content
The India Content website has a good stock of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel images. The pictures are available in three sizes—small, medium and large.You can purchase various other content images from the https://www.indiacontent.in